Global Education Program (GEP) – a new government-sponsored funding program designed in execution of the President of the Russian Federation Decree # 967 of 28 December, 2013 “On measures to develop human resource potential of the Russian Federation”. Under the program the Russian Federation citizens will be offered a unique opportunity for graduate and postgraduate study at the leading foreign higher education institutions that provide educational programs at a quality which meets the highest international standards. Upon completion of their studies the program participants are expected to return to Russia and obtain employment with Russian organization in accordance with the qualification gained.
The conceptual framework for the Program was approved by The Resolution of the Government of the Russian Federation # 568 of June 20, 2014. 4.41 billion rubles will be distributed to at least 1,500 participants in 2014-2016. In addition to tuition fees, the program will cover travel expenses to and from the student’s place of residence to the university, medical insurance, accommodation, meals, and academic literature; however, the total expenditure for one year of study may not exceed 1381,8 thousand rubles.
On the one hand, the Program is aimed at developing human resource potential through trainings of prospective employees in science, engineering, medicine, education and management in social sphere. On the other – it is a source of financial support for the citizens of the Russian Federation admitted to the leading foreign higher education institutions (Eligible schools and programs were selected based on their inclusion into the current ARWU, THE and QS ratings).
The following steps are to be taken in order to accomplish the mission:
- creating a database of students who are already enrolled on the list of programs approved by the Resolution of the Government of the Russian Federation on June 20, 2014 No. 1094-r.;
- administering competitive selection procedure; the citizens of the Russian Federation who wish to apply for a grant are supposed to come through the competitive selection procedure established to identify those who have the potential to benefit from the program and become the leaders of tomorrow;
- providing information on program developments for program participants;
- debugging procedures for working with alumni, setting up mechanisms for obtaining employment;
- monitoring the program participants progress and their compliance with the terms and conditions of the program; managing the day-to-day operations of the program;
- developing repayment policy in the event a participant has failed to comply with the program regulations.
The expected results
The program is meant to build the highly-qualified human resources for Russian employers in order to facilitate the processes of modernization and implementation of innovative technologies to realize the potential for future growth in social and economic spheres. Under the program Russian regions (Siberian and Far Eastern Federal Districts in particular) will be provided with well qualified staff. Only 10% of program alumni will get jobs in Moscow and Saint Petersburg.
- The Decree of the President of the Russian Federation of December 28, 2013 # 967 “Measures to develop the Human Resource Potential of the Russian Federation”
- The Resolution of the Government of The Russian Federation of June 20, 2014 № 568
- The Regulations of the Program Supervisory Board
- Employment Regulations
- Refunds and Repayment Regulations
- Quota regulations on training scientific, educational, medical and engineering personnel, as well as management personnel in the social sphere under the program, and figures for 2014-2016
- Regulations and deadlines for transferring money to program participants
- Expenditure norms on traveling to and from the student’s place of residence to the university, medical insurance, accommodation, meals and academic literature, and the procedures for transferring funds to program participants
- Decree of the Ministry of Education and Science of Russian Federation #788 from July 24, 2014 on the Program Supervisory Board
- Decree of the Ministry of Education and Science of Russian Federation #1552 from December 08, 2014 on the Program Supervisory Board
- The Resolution of the Government of The Russian Federation № 1094